Friday 10 August 2012

Ubuntu Quirks

Default Keyboard Layout

I had installed Latvian keyboard and my Ubuntu/Kubuntu and could not revert to English (UK) no matter what I did. Terminals like Alt-F2 would still be running Latvian locale. This command helped me to wipe out original settings and reinstall keyboard layout:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Overlay Scrollbars

I hate overlay scrollbars which were introduced in Ubuntu 11.04. Gmail has them. They are just silly. They are invisible when inactive and if you have a long document it's very difficult to hit the scrollbar right. So much pissing around just to scroll something! This command helped me to roll back to classic scrollbar:

sudo echo "export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0">/etc/X11/Xsession.d/80overlayscrollbars

No comments: